The new temporary provision allows HEIs to add additional material under the licence for participating publishers, up to the amount of 20% or two chapters, whichever is the greater.
The website to check participating publishers is available here: Higher Education Licence terms amended until July 2021 to help sector deal with difficulties due to COVID-19.
Important things to remember:
- Only participating publishers are covered, not every publisher. Ensure that you and your entire team are aware of this and check the participating publishers list here: Higher Education Licence terms amended until July 2021 to help sector deal with difficulties due to COVID-19
- You can check the rightsholder in the DCS under the Licence Compliance section (see below image)
- You must add every new request (there is no need to retrospectively fix old requests) as a Special Licence Provision under the Licence Compliance Verification.
Once you choose Special Licence Provision, everything else is now complete. No need to worry about deleting as the extract will expire on the 31 July the following year and the percentage in the DCS will automatically increase to 20% as well.
If there are three chapters under 20% that you can copy please add the largest chapter under the CLA Licence and the other two under Special Licence Provision (unless you can fit two chapters under or near to 10%, in which case add these under the CLA Licence and the third under Special Licence Provision). For more than 3 chapters please email email@example.com with the specific breakdown and we will recommend the best way to add these to the DCS.
Finally, please ensure that these provisions are also being met:
- Only printed books published by participating publishers are covered, therefore this amendment applies only when a digital edition is unavailable through commercial channels – see our FAQs here: Commercial Availability of Digital Editions - FAQs
- This provision excludes anthologies, plays and poetry
- This provision cannot be used in conjunction with Second Extract to use up to 30% / 3 Chapters
- All extracts must be made available through the DCS or other approved workflow system, including Talis, and must be removed by 31 July 2021
- Available to higher education institutions in UK and Ireland